Here are some details about how I operate as an independent freelancer.
- Self-employed trading in the United Kingdom as Jaybee Productions.
- Not VAT registered.
- Member of Bectu a UK trade union for the creative arts industries. Some legal services I may require are provided by this organisation.
- PLI insurance up to £10m.
- All intellectual property, existing and created for commissioned projects, is
–by default–owned by Jamie Brightmore. These may include, but not limited to, all source material and/or specific application data. Release of certain files may be open to discussion.
- Usually copyright is granted for any commissioned output material but exacting requirements must always be clearly described prior to a project proposal being drafted.
- Copyright release may be subject to a signed contract, typically offered digitally via Adobe Acrobat Sign.
- Exact payment terms are always provided on invoices and/or agreed upon commission. From my side this is usually subject to the standard 28 day cycle, but prompt payment preferred for any delivered assets.
- Late payments will be charged according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts [Interest] Act 1998, as amended and supplemented by the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Regulations 2002. Late payment interest rate is 8% + the current reference rate.
- Late payments will also incur compensation under the table of compensation in this provision; for a debt less than £1000, the sum of £40; for a debt of £1000 or more, but less than £10,000, the sum of £70; for a debt of £10,000 or more, the sum of £100.
- Weekend work, i.e, Saturday and Sunday, are charged at x1.5 (time and a half) the given day rate.
- A non-refundable 20% deposit calculated from a supplied proposal / estimated costing will be usually be requested.
- If no deposit was received and the client wishes to cancel –either all work or remaining work– a cancelation fee for pre-booked / agreed schedule will be chargeable at 20% per given day rate.
- Any specific client terms offered are always considered.
- Drafted: 05/05/2023